Sing out Louise. Oh no, you can't. You're dead.
Well, it's funny how all this started. I'd heard about blogging and then linked to here from a BBC website. Big mouth to the ready I thought I'd give it a go. Jerry Springer the Opera. Oh dear, do people have nothing better to moan about?
Precisely thirty minutes before I'd been listening to Kiss of the Spiderwoman, a Broadway musical by Kander & Ebb, you know, Chicago and all that...jazz. Well I'd been thinking about a feeling I'd once had. How would I feel if I was about to die? Would I regret so many things, would I cry out loud at my sadness at not being able to plan a year ahead in my life. That's how a younger me once felt. I actually once was sad that I wouldn't see what was on at the theatre the next year.
Reading the furore about Sainsbury and Woolworths withdrawing Jerry Springer brought all these thoughts together. I saw the show in the West End of London and yes it is shocking but it also a wonderful piece of music theatre, very cleverly written and a "sad but true" reflection on modern broadcasting.
The religious faction that must be preeming themsleves this morning as to get two giant chains to withdraw the DVD are as pathetic as the protesters outside Martin Scorcese's Last Temptation of Christ, when asked had they seen the film, they responded "no."
I doubt if our religious enemies the Christian Fundamentalists have even heard the score for the show, so they are missing out on a great experience.
Oh dear, I'm nearly getting drawn into an argument about religion. Don't go there. It reminds me of some Mormons who knocked on my door. I live in Spain. They come over on their "Mission to Spain," to convert miserable sinners like me. I asked them how they knew their work was justified. They looked rather sad and confused and after a pause they said.."because we believe." Good for them. I asked how they knew about Mormon, They explained to me about some golden tablets flying up to heaven. I laughed and commented that it sounded a bit Disney to me.
Thank you Christians. You've given the Jerry Springer DVD fantastically good publicity. I've just ordered it online. Oh I've just remembered...there's a Christian man about to be executed in Iraq. No, silly me....let's just worry about the DVD.
Precisely thirty minutes before I'd been listening to Kiss of the Spiderwoman, a Broadway musical by Kander & Ebb, you know, Chicago and all that...jazz. Well I'd been thinking about a feeling I'd once had. How would I feel if I was about to die? Would I regret so many things, would I cry out loud at my sadness at not being able to plan a year ahead in my life. That's how a younger me once felt. I actually once was sad that I wouldn't see what was on at the theatre the next year.
Reading the furore about Sainsbury and Woolworths withdrawing Jerry Springer brought all these thoughts together. I saw the show in the West End of London and yes it is shocking but it also a wonderful piece of music theatre, very cleverly written and a "sad but true" reflection on modern broadcasting.
The religious faction that must be preeming themsleves this morning as to get two giant chains to withdraw the DVD are as pathetic as the protesters outside Martin Scorcese's Last Temptation of Christ, when asked had they seen the film, they responded "no."
I doubt if our religious enemies the Christian Fundamentalists have even heard the score for the show, so they are missing out on a great experience.
Oh dear, I'm nearly getting drawn into an argument about religion. Don't go there. It reminds me of some Mormons who knocked on my door. I live in Spain. They come over on their "Mission to Spain," to convert miserable sinners like me. I asked them how they knew their work was justified. They looked rather sad and confused and after a pause they said.."because we believe." Good for them. I asked how they knew about Mormon, They explained to me about some golden tablets flying up to heaven. I laughed and commented that it sounded a bit Disney to me.
Thank you Christians. You've given the Jerry Springer DVD fantastically good publicity. I've just ordered it online. Oh I've just remembered...there's a Christian man about to be executed in Iraq. No, silly me....let's just worry about the DVD.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home